The Essential Craigslist Statistics Every Freelancer Should Know in 2023
Craigslist is one of the most well-known websites for classified advertisements on the web. It is a hub or a platform with various interesting sections such as discussion forums, job postings, community service, items wanted, housing, and more.
Established in 1995 by Craig Newmark, this web-based platform expanded into a range of classified categories, reaching more than 70 countries and millions of users. It’s one of the best job-finding platforms for countless freelancers such as photographers looking for the best and most affordable ways to build a competitive portfolio.
Whether you’re looking for temporary or long-term work, Craigslist provides comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date national freelance job listings. Users need to visit the platform’s job board to browse these postings.
The reason that so many freelancers turn to Craigslist for jobs is simple – the platform is free for all job seekers. In other words, finding a job through Craigslist won’t cost you a dime. The platform is also user-friendly and provides each user with a personalized user experience.
This is why beginner freelancers turn to Craigslist most often. On the other hand, if you’re a remote worker looking for regular gigs that can earn you some cash on the side, Craigslist should be your number one option as well.
Interesting Craigslist Statistics
- Craigslist attracts users from 70 different countries.
- The platform receives more than 250 million visits per month.
- Craigslist is home to over 700 local websites.
- The website comes in 14 different languages.
- There are more than 80 million classified ad postings on Craigslist.
Craigslist statistics for freelancers and job seekers
Let’s examine essential Craigslist statistics for 2023 to discover how important this freelancing platform is for all job seekers looking for profitable gigs.
1. According to a study from March 2022, Craigslist receives 250.6 million visits every month.
The latest statistics indicate that more than 250 million internet users visit Craigslist every month. Each visitor spends about 14 minutes exploring the website.
2. Craigslist receives traffic from all over the world, with 75.81% coming from the US alone.
The most recent survey showed that Craigslist gathers most of its traffic from the following countries:
- United States – 190 million visitors (75.81%);
- Guam – 45 million visitors (17.98%);
- Canada – 7.7 million (3.07%);
- China – 1.7 million (0.68%); and
- UK – 705.4K (0.28%).
3. Craigslist gathers users from 70 different countries.
The latest data has shown that the platform is active in over 70 countries.
4. Craigslist has more than 700 local websites under its belt.
The Craigslist platform is home to more than 700 local websites.
5. The Craigslist website is available in 14 different languages.
Current research indicates that users can access Craigslist in 14 different language versions. This list of languages includes:
6. Craigslist is ranked 39th on a list of websites that Americans visit the most.
Along with Worldstar and Fox News, Craigslist is one of the most visited websites in the United States. It’s the 39th most visited, followed by Twitch (40th) and Etsy (41st).
7. According to a recent report, Craigslist users post more than 80 million classified ads each month.
Craigslist has some of the most affordable ad posting fees, ranging between $3 and $75 per posting. Because of this, more than 80 million classified ads are posted monthly.
8. Since 2020, Craigslist’s revenues have gone up by 17%.
In 2018, Craigslist generated the most revenue ever, surpassing the 1 billion mark. In 2020, the website generated only $566 million in revenue. Since then, the site’s revenues went back up, reaching the $660 million mark in 2021 and achieving an increase of 17% from 2020. Most of this revenue was generated from gig listings (75%) and job postings (30%).
9. According to Forbes, Craigslist’s worth is estimated at around $3 billion.
Forbes did some research on Craigslist in 2017, and according to the study, the website could be worth $3 billion or more.
10. The Forbes study on Craigslist indicated that the founder of the Craigslist website, Craig Newmark (64), could be worth around $1.3 billion.
The founder of Craigslist, Craig Newmark (64), owns 42% or more of the website’s shares. His share of the company is estimated at around $1.3 billion.
We hope that you find these statistics useful when considering joining Craigslist. It’s one of the best, most trusted, and reputable online platforms for posting classified ads in various business categories. Whether you’re a freelancer or a remote worker, Craigslist can help you to score good deals and earn solid money by working online.