Well, we’ve run the numbers and we’ve collected them into this awesome infographic. Why did we collect them into an infographic? Well, if you read the infographic, you’ll find out [Spoiler Alert!] it has to do with just how much internet users love sharing pretty pictures.
That’s only the start, though! We’re going to get into what other types of content to share, where to share them, and when you should do that sharing. In the modern age of omnipresent multimedia and total market saturation, it’s more important (and easier!) than ever to reach out through multiple media formats. For example, you can also find all of this information in an expanded form in our How to Start a Blog ebook . . . which is also available as an audiobook and a visual roadmap.
The reason we do this, and you should too, is that different potential users like different types of content. It’s a pretty simple task to repackage information into different formats, and this one step, alone, can vastly increase the reach of your content.
We won’t delay you any longer, though. Are you ready to fine-tune your blog to take advantage of everything we know about when, where, and how to put your content out there and begin your conquest of the internet?
Of course you are, have fun!
Feel free to use this infographic on your site
The numbers and science behind the perfect blog post and its promotion
- 6.7 million people post on blogging sites
- 81% of U.S. online consumers trust information and advice from blogs
- 77% of Internet users read blogs
- 46% of people read blogs more than once a day
- 33% of B2B companies use blogs
- 53.4% of bloggers are 21 to 35 years of age
- 23% of Internet time is spent on blogs and social networks
The optimal post is equivalent to 7 minutes reading time or about 1,500 to 1,600 words.
The Google search engine results page (SERP) position
The list of elements ideal blog posts should include:
- Introduction, with a hook
- Subheadings and lists
- Images and photos
- Tips and advice
- Relevant links to other sources
- Tables and diagrams
- Relevant quotes
- Conclusion with a call to action
Ideal blog title
How to cook an ideal headline:
- 8 out of 10 people will read your headline
- 2 out of 10 people will read your whole blog post
- Good headlines spark interest and invite readers
- Best headline length is 50 to 70 characters or 6 to 8 words long
Sure-Fire Headline Formulas:
- Little Known Ways to…
- Now You Can Have…
- Are You…
- The Secret of…
- If You’re…
- You Can…
- Here’s a Quick Way to
- Do You Make These Mistakes?
- Five Signs You Should Never Ignore
Types of content
- White papers
- Viral campaigns
- User-Generated Content (UGC)
- Press releases
- Long form copy
- Case studies
- Audio bites
- Blog articles
- Industry news
- Forum posts
- Blog comments
- Status updates
Posts with videos attract three times as many inbound links as plain text posts.
The use of video content for marketing increased 73%.
Articles with images get 94% more views than those without.
Use of infographics grew 51%.
Redrawn from http://www.newsvend.com/blog/7/how-to-build-a-killer-content-marketing-strategy
Blog posts frequency vs. social shares
The 13% of posts published on weekends rake in the most social shares.
Blogs posted on Saturdays have the greatest share of social interactions, at 18%.
The use of back links
The more back links to you, the better your ranking.
- Online answers
- Press releases
- Online directories
- Customer reviews
- Social bookmarking
- Blogs and communities
- Influential links
- Social networks
Back links not only affect your ranking in the SRPS (Search Engine Results Page), they also contribute to building your page rank.
Facts about social networks
- 1 billion active users
- 2 billion pieces of content each day
- 560 million active users
- 5.7 thousand tweets happen every second
- 4 out of 5 users are active
- 240 million active users
- 79% of users are 35 or older
- 75% of users make $50,000 to $100,000 a year
- 80% of users are female
- 20% of users are male
- 50% of users interact with food-related content
- 300 million monthly active users
- 70 million photos per day
- 2.5 billion likes per day
- 6.7 minutes, average time spent monthly
- Top demographic: 25-34 years old
- 1.5 pictures uploaded every week
- 70% of users say they read blogs in the morning
- Mondays are the highest traffic days for the average blog
- Average frequency of publishing a blog post is at least one post every 30 days
Redrawn from http://www.socialsongbird.com/2013/11/best-times-to-post-on-social-media.html and amended
Link to all sources: tinyurl.com/fsg-how-to-blog