Before we continue explaining how to do that, it is important to know there is a difference between creating account on wordpress.com and installing a self-hosted WordPress blog. There are obviously many differences, but for now you should know that you cannot install any custom theme on wordpress.com.
If you have created a blog on wordpress.com, you are still able to change a theme, but you have a limited choice and you are free to install themes which you can find there. To change the theme, you should do the following:
- Go to your admin page
- Navigate to Appearance->Themes
- Choose a theme by browsing through featured, popular and latest tabs or find one by typing the name of the theme
- Preview the theme you like and see the details
- Click on the install button
If you have paid for your hosting and have access to a server where you have installed WordPress, things are much different. You still have the same option of getting a theme from the WordPress directory, but you have basically unlimited choices. As you may already know, there are numberless free WordPress themes ready for download and almost as much premium themes you can buy for a specific price.
Once you have downloaded a theme (it doesn’t matter if you found a free one or paid for a premium one), you are ready for the installation process. There are two simple installation methods. Let’s start with the easier one:
- Go to Appearance->Themes
- Click on “Add New”
- Choose “Upload Theme”
- Click on “Choose file”
- Select a theme you have downloaded in .zip format
- Click “Install Now”
After this, your theme should appear under Appearance-> Themes where you can see the details, preview your theme and activation/deactivation button.
Other method of installing your theme is by using an FTP client like FileZilla.
- Open FileZilla and connect to your server
- Navigate to public_html (or “www” shortcut folder)
- Open “wp-content”
- Find and open “Themes” folder
- Unzip your theme and copy the entire folder into “Themes” folder
- Open you WP admin page
- Navigate to Appearance->Themes where you should find your new theme installed and ready for you to activate it