15 Best Sites and Apps to Sell Stuff Online in 2021
Choose the Right Sites and Apps for Online Sales
If you want to make a profit from selling things online, you have two options. One – you could create an eCommerce website and sell stuff directly from there. You’ll have to create a killer website, develop a marketing campaign to drive traffic and attract audiences, and invest a lot of time and money into the entire thing. Obviously, this solution isn’t ideal for everyone.
That’s why for most people, option number two is better – using existing eCommerce sites and apps. As long as you have a sellable product, existing platforms can help you to turn a profit.
Whether you’re trying to get rid of the clutter at home, sell handcrafted items to add to your main income, or expand your business through online sales, eCommerce sites and apps can help your products to reach your customers.
Now, it’s all just a matter of finding the right platform for your needs.
This can be easier said than done at times, so I created this guide to help you make an informed decision that could maximize your profits.
I’ll go through some of the most popular sites and apps for selling things online, examine their strengths and weaknesses, and hopefully help you to find a platform that checks all your boxes. Let’s get started.
Top 15 sites and apps to sell stuff online
Just last year, over 1.79 billion people bought something online. Unsurprisingly, eCommerce platforms are thriving, making it easier than ever for you to sell things via the world wide web. The following are the best of the best in the eCommerce industry:
eBay — Best for expensive items
eBay is the original eCommerce platform. It’s among the oldest ones in existence, having been established in 1995, and its reputation certainly precedes it.
It evolved from AuctionWeb (its original name) into one of the largest eCommerce websites in the world. Boasting over 159 million buyers and 19 million sellers, it’s the ideal platform for expanding your reach and turning a profit through online sales.
As a seller, you’ll have two main options for listing your items:
- Fixed price listing – you sell your item on-demand to one buyer; or
- Auction listing – different buyers bid on your article; the highest bid makes the purchase.
One of eBay’s most significant selling points is that the developers are always adding new and improved features for better customer satisfaction.
- Multiple payment methods – your customers can use PayPal, credit or debit card, Google Pay, Apple Pay, even payment upon pickup;
- eBay escrow service – protects you and the buyer from fraud by withholding funds until the buyer receives their item;
- Local pickup and shipping – you can avoid logistics and shipment concerns by selecting local pickup;
- Global shipping program – eBay is integrated with USPS and enables you to ship items globally; and
- Free listings – you can list up to 250 items/month for free and only pay a fee once you’ve made the sale.
Pricing and plans
As an individual seller, you’ll experience a few different fees:
- Insertion fee – depends on your asking price, charged every time you add an item to a new category;
- Final value fee – 12.55% of the asking price, plus $0.30 transaction fee, charged when you make a sale; and
- Listing upgrades – optional, charged when you want to highlight your listing, add more photos, use larger images, and more.
If you want to open an eBay store, you’ll have five pricing plans charged annually:
- $4.95 per month
The Starter plan is best for sellers who want to have a storefront to sell and promote their small business.
- $21.95 per month
With the Basic plan, you can have zero insertion fee listings and final value fee discounts.
- $59.95 per month
The Premium plan gives you more zero insertion fee listings and lets you have anextensive product selection.
- $299.95 per month
The Anchor plan is dedicated to high-volume sellers.
Shopify — Best for selling food products
Shopify is an eCommerce platform that enables you to create your own online store. This platform isn’t for you if you just want to declutter your home and have a virtual yard sale. After all, setting up an entire website for just a few items will take more time and effort than it’s worth.
However, if you have an idea for an online store and need some help getting started with building your website, then Shopify might just be what you need.
It’s perfect for influencers selling their merchandise, small businesses selling handcrafted items, and even restaurants in need of an online ordering solution!
The platform has dozens of valuable integrations, a user-friendly design suitable for beginners, and plenty of features to create an appealing website that drives traffic.
- Custom domain – you can use a domain name you already have or buy one through Shopify;
- Unlimited bandwidth – optimal site performance even with a significant spike in traffic;
- Flexible selling options – Point of Sale (POS) for in-person purchases, online store, buy buttons for your existing site or blog, sales channels for online marketplaces and social media;
- Marketing tools – SEO tools for attracting audiences, ad campaigns, detailed insights on campaign performance; and
- Over 100 payment gateways – your customers can pay via PayPal, Apple Pay, Amazon Pay, even cryptocurrency.
Pricing and plans
Many website developers offer free plans to beginners, but if you want to use Shopify, you’ll have to pay. You have access to three subscription plans:
- $29 per month
Create an online store and blog, use the POS system, add unlimited products, and accept payments across websites.
- $79 per month
Unlock international domains and add international pricing, enjoy a shipping discount, and get lower credit card rates.
- $299 per month
Add up to 15 staff members and eight inventory locations, get advanced reports, and simplify payments with third-party calculated shipping rates.
Amazon — Best for international trade
I can’t discuss ways to make money online without mentioning Amazon. This eCommerce giant is the go-to platform whether you’re a buyer or a seller, and it’s the perfect place to earn some money on the side.
You don’t even need any products of your own to increase your passive income. You can become an Amazon affiliate and earn a profit by promoting Amazon products on your website. Include a few affiliate links in your blog posts, and get a percentage of the sale every time someone uses it to make a purchase.
However, the best way to make money through Amazon is by starting an eCommerce business and listing your products/services on the platform. Your business will enjoy greater exposure, you’ll benefit from Amazon’s logistics services if you choose Fulfillment by Amazon, and you’ll get access to an array of features without needing to create your own website.
- Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) – you can send your items to the Amazon fulfillment center, and Amazon will pack, ship, and provide customer service for your products;
- Inventory management – get access to detailed inventory reports;
- Amazon Marketing Services (AMS) – create sponsored product ads and launch automatic campaigns;
- Business reports – monitor sales, conversions, campaign performance, and more; and
- Back-end support – get access to Amazon’s entire back-end infrastructure, credit card processing, sales tax collection, and more.
Pricing and plans
Amazon has two seller tiers:
- $0.99 per item sold
(plus additional selling fees)
The Individual plan allows you to add products to your catalog and make use of the FBA feature.
- $39.99 per month
(plus additional selling fees)
Create listings in bulk, take advantage of Amazon’s API integration, use on-site advertising tools, run promotions, and more.
Flippa — Best for selling online businesses
Flippa is a unique entry on this list as it specializes in the buying and selling of online businesses, apps, domains, web stores, and similar goods. It was established in 2009 and quickly became the leading marketplace for selling an array of online businesses.
Some of the web properties you can sell on Flippa include:
- Established sites and online businesses;
- Template sites;
- Domain names;
- iOS and Android apps;
- Amazon FBA and FBM stores;
- SaaS apps;
- Desktop apps;
- Ecommerce stores;
- Side projects.
It’s easy to use, has an abundance of verified buyers, and allows you to make easy money on the side. Its features will allow you to make a sale in record time.
- Free valuation tool – find out how much your business is worth in an instant;
- Access to global buyers – Flippa gets around 30,000 new global buyers every month;
- For sale sign – add a “for sale” sign directly to your website;
- Listing upgrades – have Flippa promote your listing on their Twitter, feature the listing on Flippa’s homepage;
- SEMrush reports – access detailed reports about your site, including traffic analytics, authority and site ranking, paid and organic traffic, and more.
Pricing and plans
When using Flippa, you’ll have to cover several fees, which differ depending on what you’re selling. Flippa’s listing fees:
- Established websites and online businesses – $49
- Starter/template websites – $15
- Domains – $10
- iOS and Android apps – $15
Once you make a sale, you’ll also have to cover success fees, which are calculated as a percentage of your asking price:
- Sold for up to $50,000 – 10% success fee
- Sold for up to $100,000 – 7.5% success fee
- Sold for over $100,000 – 5% success fee
- Sold through Flippa’s partner broker – 15% success fee
Facebook Marketplace — Social media marketplace
Launched in 2016, Facebook Marketplace was a game-changer for online sellers worldwide. It’s the most straightforward platform to use if you want to create a virtual garage sale and attract potential buyers in your vicinity.
While this tool was initially suitable only for individual sellers trying to get rid of used goods or unwanted gifts and furniture, it’s now become valuable to small online merchants as well. The new Facebook-Shopify integration enables eCommerce businesses to promote their products on Facebook Marketplace and improve their reach.
After all, with over 2.85 billion worldwide users, Facebook is the perfect place for attracting new customers.
Additionally, you’ll get access to various features when joining Facebook Marketplace.
- Boosted listings – choose your budget and promote your items with a Facebook ad campaign;
- Shopify integration – promote products from your Shopify site on Facebook Marketplace;
- AI tools – automatically categorize an item and generate a short description;
- Real-time communication – stay in touch with potential customers directly through Messenger; and
- Facebook offers – you can create discounts directly on your Facebook page.
Pricing and plans
Facebook Marketplace is free for everyone. You can create a listing without spending a cent. Facebook will only charge you if you make a sale.
Current rates are:
- 5% of the total asking price per shipment; or
- $0.40 per shipment for items with an asking price lower than $8.00.
Craigslist — Best for local use
Craigslist needs no introductions. It’s the original classified advertisements site that’s been in use since 1995. It’s the go-to platform for selling anything and everything – from food to used clothing and outdated video games.
Although Craigslist is slightly outdated, it still attracts millions of buyers and sellers, making it one of the most active eCommerce platforms to this day.
You can benefit from selling on Craigslist if you’re an individual seller trying to eliminate clutter. While businesses can certainly list their products on Craigslist, the lack of business-related features makes the platform less than ideal.
- Craigslist markets – Craigslist operates on a local level so that you can choose your precise location;
- Ad refresher – you can refresh free ads every 48 hours without charge and paid ads for a small fee;
- Dozens of categories – list your item under furniture, computers and tech, antiques, cars, and more;
- Craigslist app – a Craigslist app is available on Google Play and Apple App Store; and
- Options for selling services – you can use Craigslist to market your services across different categories (real estate, health and wellness, lessons, and more).
Pricing and plans
Selling items on Craigslist is entirely free. Only a few categories, such as job listings, can incur posting fees.Visit Craigslist for additional information >>
Etsy — Sell handmade arts and crafts
If you want to sell something unique, artsy, or vintage, Etsy is the best platform for the job. Established in 2005, it has grown to become one of the largest global eCommerce sites, pumping its annual merchandise sales volume up to $10.28 billion in 2020.
It boasts over 4.3 million active sellers, many of them independent creators and small businesses. You can use it to sell items across numerous categories, including handmade goods, vintage clothing, and even inspirational quotes.
Etsy is very beginner-friendly. Setting up an Etsy store is a streamlined, straightforward process that you should be able to complete within minutes, even if you’ve never used eCommerce platforms before.
- Customizable Etsy store – highlight products with featured listings, add customizable banner templates;
- Custom domains – 50% discount on a custom domain or a free .store domain for a year;
- Advertising credits – you can market your products on Etsy Ads;
- Promotional tools – you can promote your items in Etsy’s search and share listings on social media; and
- Detailed reports and analytics – get insight into your traffic sources and store performance.
Pricing and plans
Etsy has two pricing plans for sellers:
- No monthly fee
$0.20 fee per listing, 5% transaction fee.
The Standard Etsy plan gives you everything you need to get started with your online store. You’ll get access to all of the necessary tools and only pay a transaction fee, standard PayPal fee, and $0.20 fee per listing. Your listings will remain active for four months (or until you make a sale).
- $10 per month
With a Plus subscription, you’ll get access to more advanced tools that can help you to lift your business off the ground. You can create custom domains, use Etsy Ads, unlock more customization options, get discounts for custom shipping boxes, and more.
Poshmark — Top clothing platform
Poshmark is the leading app for selling clothing items for adults, children, and pets. Founded in 2011, it enjoys over 70 million users in North America and Australia.
You can create an account and sell secondhand clothing, or you could even use Poshmark to spread brand awareness and expand your business by selling new items, including accessories, handbags, makeup, jewelry, and home goods.
It’s effortless to use – all you have to do is snap a few pictures of your items and upload them to your virtual closet.
- Posh stories – similar to Facebook and Instagram Stories, you can use them to upload photos and videos to highlight your products;
- Listing tagging – add a tag to your Posh stories to make it easier for shoppers to buy your products;
- Seller discount – enable a bundle discount to get shoppers to buy more than one item;
- My Sales Report – a reporting tool that will give you insight into your sales and help you to track your earnings; and
- Inventory management – detailed inventory reports that help you stay on top of every listing in your virtual closet.
Pricing and plans
While listing items for sale is always free on the app, Poshmark has some fees that sellers need to be aware of:
- A flat fee of $2.95 for items under $15; and
- 20% fee for items over $15.
Swappa — Sell electronics quickly
Established in 2010, Swappa is a user-to-user marketplace. It’s great if you’re an individual seller who just wants to get rid of their old used tech. You can use it to sell watches, phones, laptops, cameras, home tech, and more.
However, you’ll need to make sure that every item you’re selling is fully functional – Swappa is committed to keeping frauds and scammers off the platform, so they thoroughly review every listing. You’ll need to send verification photos and prove device ownership.
Swappa is simple, streamlined, and affordable, allowing you to use all of the features without breaking the bank.
- Swappa local – option to sell items only within your community;
- IMEI check – a free check for iPhones to ensure they aren’t stolen;
- ESN check – a free check for smartphones and gadgets to ensure they aren’t stolen;
- PayPal payments – due to extensive buyer and seller protection, Swappa uses PayPal for transactions; and
- Featured listings – highlights your listing to ensure greater visibility.
Pricing and plans
Swappa has an affordable fee structure that the buyer covers. You can list your item for free, set its price, and the fee will be automatically added. If you want to create a featured listing, you will have to pay a flat $5 fee.
Since Swappa relies on PayPal, you will encounter PayPal fees when a buyer makes a payment. Additionally, you’ll handle your own shipping, so you’ll have to cover the shipping costs of your chosen service provider.Visit Swappa for additional information >>
Nextdoor — Simplest local platform
If you don’t want to bother with shipping and processing transactions through complex apps, you might want to check out Nextdoor. I’ve used it several times with great success and can’t recommend it enough.
It’s not so much an eCommerce platform as it is a social network for your immediate neighborhood. You’ll find local news and events, business recommendations, and, of course, countless items for sale.
Within a few clicks, you can post any type of item you have for sale (or free), receive likes and comments, and schedule a sale through in-app messaging.
Nextdoor has an abundance of valuable features that allow you to connect with your local community and make some money on the side as you declutter your home.
- Proximity connections – you’ll automatically connect with other Nextdoor users in your zip code;
- For sale and free categories – create a post with your item that’s free or for sale, and publish it to your neighborhood newsfeed;
- Broaden areas – increase your reach by expanding post visibility to surrounding neighborhoods;
- In-app messaging system – communicate directly with prospective buyers within the Nextdoor app; and
- Sell for good – you can sell (and buy) items that benefit your local nonprofit organizations.
Pricing and plans
Like most social media platforms, Nextdoor is completely free for users to join. You can post listings, communicate with buyers, and make deals without spending a cent.
However, keep in mind that you will have to arrange pickup/dropoff, payment collection, and more by yourself.Visit Nextdoor for additional information >>
Bonanza — Similar to eBay and Amazon
Founded in 2008, Bonanza enjoys an excellent reputation among its sellers. In several independent surveys of over 60,000 sellers, it even outperformed companies like Amazon and Etsy, earning the highest score in “How likely are you to recommend the marketplace to a friend?”.
It works in a similar way to eBay or Amazon, allowing you to list items across different categories for sale. You can list clothing, accessories, books, digital products, collectibles, and more.
Created by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs, it’s ideal for small businesses trying to make a name for themselves.
- Inventory sync – sync all active listings from Shopify, eBay, and Amazon and add them to your Bonanza store;
- Batch editor – edit multiple products simultaneously whenever you want to give discounts, free shipping, or other unique offers;
- Advertising – Bonanza can publish your listing on various shopping sites to increase your traffic and help you make a sale;
- Insightful data – receive stats and reports on your performance; and
- Webstore – create your own eCommerce store through Bonanza, get a custom domain name, customizable themes, and secure shopping carts.
Pricing and plans
You can make a listing for free on Bonanza and only pay a final value fee once you make a sale. However, if you’re running a small business and post frequent listings, you might want to upgrade to a paid membership:
- $25 per month
Track sales, visits, and traffic through Google Analytics, get lower shipping rates, promote items in featured search, and more.
- $55 per month
Create Facebook ads, get 24-hour analytics, add up to a thousand digital goods for sale.
- $167 per month
Enjoy personal consultations with an account specialist, improve your advertising, and boost your traffic.
Decluttr — Best for selling electronics overall
Decluttr has been in business since 2013, and it’s made quite a name for itself. With excellent ratings on TechRadar and 4.5/5 stars on TrustPilot, it’s the go-to platform for selling your used gadgets like phones, wearable tech, consoles, laptops, and more.
It has a unique business model wherein you have to tell them what you’re selling then get an instant price evaluation. If you’re happy with it, you’ll receive a shipping label, send your product to Decluttr for free, and get your money the next business day.
It’s simple, streamlined, and perfect for individual sellers looking to get rid of functional electronics.
- Free app – allows you to scan product barcodes for a faster price valuation;
- Free shipping label – print the label, tape it to your box, and ship it to Decluttr for free;
- Tech price promise – you’re guaranteed to get the first price offered, or you’ll get your item back for free;
- Next-day payments – you’ll receive your payment one business day after Decluttr receives your product; and
- Transit insurance – you’ll receive full item insurance during transit.
Pricing and plans
Decluttr is free to use, so there aren’t any fees to worry about.Visit Decluttr for additional information >>
Chairish — Sell home decor and furniture
As you could’ve guessed from the name, Chairish is an eCommerce platform specializing in furniture and home decor. It was founded in 2013 and quickly became the most active platform among interior designers and vintage furniture enthusiasts.
Whether you’re running a vintage business or you’ve inherited your grandma’s antique china set and don’t know what to do with it, Chairish can help you find trustworthy buyers without much fuss.
However, keep in mind that Chairish has exceptionally high standards, so all items you want to sell need to be in excellent shape.
- Chairish drop off and go – Chairish can take care of all the shipping logistics, so you don’t have to;
- Improved listings – Chairish will edit your photos and descriptions and make your listings more professional;
- Extensive product categories – list your item under furniture, art, lighting, decor, rugs, bed and bath, and more;
- Easy listing – use the mobile app to create a new listing on the go; and
- Dedicated account representative – get a dedicated counselor who monitors and analyzes your performance.
Pricing and plans
Chairish has higher fees than most eCommerce platforms, but it can also get you a higher price on all items.
- Free membership
30% flat-rate fee on the product price. You’ll get free curated listings and facilitated shipping.
- Free membership
20% tiered fee on used items, 30% flat-rate fee on new, custom items. You’ll enjoy the same benefits of the Consignor plan but receive better rates.
- $149 per month
20% tiered fee on used items, 30% flat-rate fee on new, custom items. You’ll receive a dedicated account representative, expedited payments, and shop curation tools with an Elite plan. Additionally, wholesalers can create an account on Chairish and enjoy unique features and benefits.
Sellfy — Best for selling digital products
Sellfy is the eCommerce site for you if you’re running a business that sells digital goods like ebooks, music, and videos. With over a decade in the industry, the site provides an impressive quality of service and follows the highest data protection standards.
It enables you to create your own digital storefront without any hassle. As long as you have sellable digital products, Sellfy will handle the rest – payment processing, product hosting, even sending automatic download emails.
Moreover, if you already have a website, Facebook, or YouTube channel, you can use Sellfy to embed buy buttons and allow your customers to make purchases easily.
- Online storefront – use Sellfy to host your site and customize its every aspect;
- No storage limit – you can add as many products as you want to your online store;
- Payment processing – Selly offers PayPal and Stripe payments;
- Limited downloads – get unique download links with a limited number of download attempts to prevent buyers from sharing your digital products; and
- Marketing features – create email marketing campaigns, improve your upselling efforts, and more.
Pricing and plans
Sellfy has simple pricing plans that can suit virtually any budget:
- $19 per month
The starter plan allows for up to $10,000 in sales a year with unlimited products.
- $39 per month
The business plan is for those who have up to $50,000 in sales a year. You’ll get all the features from the starter plan and enjoy product migration to your Sellfy storefront, 10,000 email credits, and no Sellfy logo.
- $89 per month
Ideal for those who have up to $200,000 in sales a year. You’ll enjoy all the benefits of the business plan, plus 50,000 email credits and priority support.
VarageSale — Online garage sale
As its name would suggest, VarageSale is an eCommerce platform that enables you to hold virtual garage sales. It’s been in business since 2012 and created an impeccable reputation.
You can easily list all of the items you have for sale and even offer free products when you just want to get rid of clutter.
It’s one of the few eCommerce platforms that puts such a strong emphasis on safety and security. Every member needs to be verified with their real name and profile picture; otherwise, they cannot use the site.
- Verified members – every member needs to use their real name and picture;
- Responsive app – you can download the app and add new listings seamlessly;
- User-friendly interface – clean design with no unnecessary ads or complex widgets;
- Praises – previous buyers can leave praises to show their satisfaction with the seller; and
- Location-based listings – your listings will be visible to everyone in your vicinity.
Pricing and plans
VarageSale is free to use. You can create an account, download the app, and participate in their communities free of charge.Visit VarageSale for additional information >>
How to select a site or app for selling things online
Selecting the best site or app for selling things online can be a bit of a hassle. You have access to an abundance of great choices, but it’s rarely in your best interest to start using all of them at once.
So, to choose the right platform for your needs, you’ll need to consider several things:
- Target audience – how quickly you’ll make a sale depends entirely on the platform’s target audience. If you want to reach international audiences, joining a site like Amazon or creating a store on Shopify would be your best option. On the other hand, local sites like Facebook Marketplace and Nextdoor are best suited for those who want to sell in their local community.
- Price – eCommerce sites have varying plans and pricing options, with many offering free services as well. If you’re an individual seller just trying to declutter, you should probably consider free services like VarageSale. However, if you’re running a business, fee-based services can unlock valuable features that can help you to improve your brand recognition.
- Niche – selling digital products on Etsy would be as nonsensical as selling jewelry on Sellfy. Make sure that the platform you choose specializes in the type of products you have on offer.
- Scalability options – if you’re running a business, you’ll want to join a site that allows you to scale up as you attract more audiences. If you’re an independent one-time seller, there’s no reason to pay extra for scalability options.
- Features – many eCommerce platforms boast a variety of integrations that can help lift your business off the ground. Look for marketing features, dedicated counseling, SEO, and more to make sure you can stand out from your competitors.
It’s critical to do your research and carefully assess a platform before you join it. Examine its features, make a list of priorities, and (if you’re a business owner) do a test run with several sites to find the one that suits you best.
Best sites and apps for different uses
The best eCommerce platform for you depends entirely on your unique needs and priorities. While sites like Amazon are certainly well-known and respected, they won’t meet your needs if you’re an independent seller hoping to have a virtual garage sale. On the other hand, while platforms like Facebook Marketplace are free to use, they might not meet the needs of your growing business.
So, take a look at some of the best sites and apps for different needs.
Best for individual sellers
As an individual seller, you need a simple yet effective platform to help you make a sale as quickly as possible without much fuss.
You need a platform that’s easy to use, one that connects you with a large pool of potential buyers, and one that doesn’t come with many fees and complicated pricing plans.
Best for small businesses
If you’re creating a new startup that’s yet to start making waves, you first need to connect with your community and start attracting local buyers.
Best for large businesses
Large businesses need independence and full control of their products and inventories. They need advanced marketing features, excellent security, and sophisticated customization options for easier branding.
Selling things online is easier than ever since you have a variety of choices. You can use popular social media platforms to sell your items, join larger sites like Amazon or eBay, or even create your own eCommerce website.
Many sites and apps enable you to sell services, including Craigslist and Nextdoor. However, it’s probably in your best interest to rely on Shopify or similar platforms and create your own site where you can sell services.
While many eCommerce sites and apps have fees and pricing plans, you can easily find platforms that don’t charge for selling things. Some free sites include Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Swappa, Nextdoor, Decluttr, and VarageSale.
You don’t have to create your own website to sell things online. Regardless of the type of products you’re selling, you can easily find a suitable platform for it that will help you to find buyers.
However, if you’re running a business and want to outperform competitors and attract more buyers, it’s in your best interest to create a website. It gives you more freedom and allows you to brand yourself properly.
Selling things online is often much easier than selling in person. You can list all of your products from the comfort of your home, reach out to potential buyers within just a few clicks, and make a sale in record time. However, you do have to find a platform that suits your needs.
Examine the eCommerce sites and apps I’ve mentioned so far carefully, compare their pricing plans, niches, and features, and find the one that checks all your boxes.